Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Today hip hop saved a life

Okay, I lied, but I did have The Herd playing when I arrived - I was only 19(Redgum).

Coming back from the fortnightly migration to Centrelink I spied a pair of legs sticking out from the trees and a pair of yapping dogs. The dogs lived a few houses away - we have constant barking contests because the fucker's will never shut up when I pass. As I got to the legs another guy showed up with his dog and tantrums were had by all the canines trying to establish dominance.

So I take a look and it's the old fellow who owns the dogs, face down beside the bushes trying to push himself up and doing a pretty good impersonation of Stephen Hawkings after having been pushed out of his wheelchair. I started talking to him and he was grunting (which isn't suprising out here, there's a lot of people who don't really truck with much English), the other guy had let his dog go, so now all three were dancing around sniffing arses.

We try and help the old boy up and he seems cognizant but pretty weak, we try and help him - one under each shoulder - to his house two doors down and then his staggering legs totally give out and he's gone. We lay him down. I throw my phone to the other guy and tell him to call and ambulance, check the old blokes vitals and roll him onto his side - he's breathing and got a pulse but he's not there and his false teeth look to be falling out.

Ambulance on the way we wait and suddenly the whole neighborhood is surrounding us asking what's going on. After answering the same question a few times I tell the next guy that shows up it was a drive-by shooting and he's a Mafia Don. We giggle a bit and the old fellow's breathing gets a bit stronger, he opens his eyes again and people are saying soothing things about how it's going to be alright.

The ambulance gets there in okay time and people rush out their explanations of what happened, which suprises me since the two of us who were there first barely get a chance to speak, finally we manage to tell one of them what actually happened. The old bloke is on the stretcher and his dog's running wild, I grab one and the guy who bought his own dog to the party grabs the other - snappy bastard takes a bit of skin off my wrist but I've got it - we shove them through the gate and snap it closed.

People are still standing around talking as the ambulance drives away, the other guy grabs his dog and heads one way, I head the other and the crowd is still there. I pop my headphone's back in to find a Hilltop Hoods song playing and walk away.

Damn that seemed surreal - and just a little scary when he just passed out, I thought the bastard was done for. Thankfully saving lives isn't a big part of my job description so it doesn't happen too often.

2 Comments:

Blogger SacrificialNewt said...

It was the dog flu!

2/22/2006 06:12:00 PM  
Blogger joel said...

loller :)

2/22/2006 08:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home