Friday, June 09, 2006

Mid week update

Three days into my new job and I'm liking it. Truly the best company I have ever worked for and the first place that actually seemed 'adult' in all their policies rather than the childish 'your break is now, you do this here, this is that' and so on. Instead I don't even have set hours, you work what is required to get the job done.

Another example is the ethic towards problem solving. i.e. I pick up on your error and call you about it. Instead of other places where I've worked we're it's been a battle of wills as to who will solve the problem (the creator or the person finding it) it's a collaboration of minds to find the best solution and prevent it. The people are so open and great with responsibility.

I guess the only bad thing at this stage will be if this initial view comes back to bite me in the arse later, if things take a dive for the darker side. Oh, and the monthly pay cycle - I need to learn to budget fast!

Nice people I'm working with, nice people company wide it seems, Looking at grabbing a new portable media player now that I'm doing the public transport hustle again in peak hour. The Zen Vision M looks mighty nice and it's priced just under the 30Gb iPose Video - goddamn white headphone wearer's everywhere!

3 Comments:

Blogger SacrificialNewt said...

ongrats. I'm pleased for you.

6/09/2006 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger Allison Reynolds said...

Good stuff!. I get paid monthly...you get used to it eventually...just make sure everything is taken out at the beginning like rent and savings...then live on the rest. I have saved more by being paid monthly because I just count it as a bill rather than something flexible

6/10/2006 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger joel said...

Thanks newty!

I guess I'll get used to the monthly pay, all I have to do now is convince them to make my permanent 6 month contract into a full time role. I plan on wheedling it just like I did in my previous position:

Take on enough of my boss' work that she'll have the choice between resuming that work herself or keeping me on - I'm guessing they'll keep me on.

6/10/2006 01:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home