Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Flashing before my eyes

Not a bad start today.

I left home at 6:15am today, for the 40minute drive up to my Boss's place at Hornsby.
I took it nice and easy, not driving too fast, not too slow. Everything was going great.
I hopped onto the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway, as per norm, off of Pennant Hills Road.


After a few minutes of driving, i watch as everyone starts to gain momentum to climb the massive hill which is: Mount Colah.

I drop my car into fourth gear, at 110km/h.
Flat to the floor, i start to accelerate, from about 3600 rev's.
110, 120, 130, 140.. then it happens.

I'm about to hit 5th gear when i look up from my Phone - Hooked up to my headunit, which i had 'Rage Against the Machine- Killing in the Name of' playing through, when i see a car, which was a car infront of the semi, which was infront of me - start to lose control.

The Semi slams on his brakes. He had an empty trailer, so he instantly jacknives.
It takes me a second to react.
I first hit the anchors hard, then depress the clutch to the floor.
The rear-left locks up.
Then, the front-left.

If anyones ever locked up a cars brakes, you know that once your front wheel(s) have locked up, you've got no chance of turning.

So i pull back some pressure off the brakes, and swerve off to the Mount Colah exit.

I'm sure it was only a few seconds, but it seemed time was going so slow.
There was so much shit running through my head like you wouldn't believe.

Due to experience I avoided an accident.

I can see so easily how people kill themselves on the roads.
Sorry P Platers (I am one too), but knowing your cars limitations, handling, and how your car will react in emergency situations - and how to correct them - and the lack of, is the reason why so many of you die each year.

I will be going for an advanced Driver course soon, in my own car.
I think this should be part of the progression to your license.


And that's my two cents for the day.

-Simon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home