Saturday, December 03, 2005

Parachute




My family, like all other families, is unique. We are not the type of family that depends on weekly visits or constant communication. We will get in contact if there is a crisis or at special times of the year. I rang my mum when I was in hospital with MS, my sister rang me when he son was hit by a car, my other sister rang me when she went into labour when her car was being repaired. If it is less of a crisis we may hear about it a bit later or by sms or email. My sister told me a week or so later when she had pinned her daughter to the garage wall with her car (only broke her arm).

Special times of the year are Birthdays and Christmas but I will also send out hellos at Easter, mother and father's days.

We act like everyone's parachute. Not much happens when its not needed, it sits there quietly. But when needed we are there ready to be used.


We have an interesting communication dynamic of who will speak to who (sometimes only if they have to).



The above does work on scales of tolerance. I am child 1 and will speak to anyone if they speak to me. But I don't include child 4 on my birthday wishes as I don't have their contact details and they have deigned to keep them to themselves. So when I see them at Christmas I will say Hi.

But as child 1 you can see I speak to everyone in the family. So it was surprising when on my birthday the only greeting I got was from my sister who stays here 3 times a week. Mind you it was her birthday the day before mine and I had messaged her so she could hardly not contact me.

But I have no idea what I have done to put myself in the "does not speak to" column. Especially after they had RSVP'd (in the negative of course but that was to be expected) to my birthday party invitation that _HaunT_ sent out.

Buggered if I know.

3 Comments:

Blogger SacrificialNewt said...

That's rather sad. Perhaps some just forgot though it's odd for all to forget. My mum forgot my sister's birthday one year and she still kicks herself for it. I forgot my mum's this year but I'd given her present to her the week before so it wasn't all bad.

I dunno though...to RSVP for a party and not show or at least call is poor form...especially on an occasion like that.

12/03/2005 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger Allison Reynolds said...

Nahh they had RSVPd to Haunt to say they wouldn't come...but I never expected they would come anyway due to everyone not talking to particular members. I was cool with that

The fact that they had responded to an email means they are still alive and shit.Just not bothering to send me an email to say Happy Birthday...or phone...or whatever. That's what has me stumped

12/03/2005 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger SacrificialNewt said...

Ahhh...my bad.

I only have my mum and my sister and we've always been close. We love family days out. I consider myself very lucky when I look at other people and their families. It's good to be from a small one.

12/04/2005 08:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home