Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Book and Movie Reviews

In the last week I have read one book and seen two movies

Death By Hollywood I picked this book up at the airport in Melbourne as I was there about 2 hours early for my flight. I had the choice of picking up another in the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey (I have read all of them bar about 2) or something new. I decided on crime rather than fantasy. Wrong choice.

For a start I did not open the slimmish paperback. If I had I would have noticed the print was the size of a See Spot Run type book. Man was I ripped off! I was lured by the siren song of Steven Boccho's name and I won't make that mistake again. Read the book in about 3 hours (which was about the length of the flight after the tow truck pushing the plane out broke down and there was much tooing and froing over an hour period to finally get in the air for the 53 minute flight). Boring blergh story with little to no redeeming features. In short, I could have written something similar (though I would have been knocked back for publication because I don't have a famous name).

Kingdom Of Heaven is not a bad movie. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. The visuals were great, the story was not mid boggling hard to figure out, and I wasn't looking for any political agenda. Orlando Bloom will always be a plaited androgynous elf for me. All this mucking about in other movies is just wasting his, and my, time. His dialogue was minimal, camera angles of him were quite masterful. The battle scenes were credible (man some recent movies have just made me cringe thinking of the tactics they have used)....so yeah, go see it if you get a free ticket.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Went to see this last night (for our international readers Tuesday is half priced tickets day at the moves ....often referred to as Tight Arse Tuesday).

Now im going to be a complete slobbering nerd and say that I bought Douglas Adams' series as it was released. I can remember distinctly doing so as a young teenager from a bookshop in Liverpool (Australia). I was hooked from then on. I watched the TV show when it was screened and I have the DVD of the series now. So I kind of class myself as a fan (even though I have not heard the radio series). My son is also a fan after seeing the DVD (and I will buy him the books for his birthday).

So it was with some trepidation I went to see the Hollywood version of the movie made by someone who had never read the books or seen the old series.

I must say it was a credible effort even so. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 ..some of that is for nostalgia's sake and some for the way new story line was worked into the plot. The romance angle though was a BLERGH! Why? Whyyyyyyyyyy? Hmm just for that I'll drop it to a 3.5. They should have cut that crap out. It is totally not needed.

Seeing the "original" Marvin from the TV series making a cameo was cute (and is that Tom Cruise in a cameo too? I am useless with those things, I barely recognise my own children in a crowd).

Have a few drinks then go see this one so you laugh more than I did (which wasn't much).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home