Saturday, September 03, 2005

Surfing The Blogsphere

Another sign I may be hyperthyrodic again is the hours of blog surfing I am putting in. While it is great entertainment and I learn so much, at this time of post-natural disaster in the US there is little variation in the diet of words.

What I have learned from reading blogs about people's opinions (often stated as fact) re: New Orleans
* Cuba has well developed, though low tech, methods of dealing with mass evacuation
* New Orleans levy funding was cut by the Bush administration
* The majority of National Guardspeople who could have helped in this situation are in Iraq
* New Orleans is 2/3 African American
* Logistical mistakes were made in telling people to move to certain areas and not following up with action/ communication of progress to those people

What I am seeing is a lot of finger pointing and blame. There is certainly the expectation that "somebody in power should do something about this". I really wonder how much of what the media is reporting is close to what is actually happening.

Recently in Sydney a new series of under city tunnels were opened and the media reported there would be weeks of traffic chaos and people boycotting the system. I was in the city 2 days after the tunnels opened and saw none of what the media had been predicting. Their feast of misery had not arrived.

My personal opinion about the Katrina aftermath is here is a country that has the gall to go into other countries and tell them they are bringing a better life, democracy and stability, yet on the homefront they cannot do that for themselves (and don't tell me that pre Katrina there weren't parts of American cities that weren't known as warzones). I find no happiness in pointing out the hypocrisy, I wonder how many of those in power would even acknowledge it exists.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nich said...

I think I saw in the media, yesterday, that Bush has admitted partial culpability.

Curiouser and curiouser.

9/04/2005 05:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home